THIS POST HAS BEEN A LONG TIME COMING I’m sorry about that, I was waiting for the WP store to update the preview image to this print. (The above version is how it will look; the version on the WP store page is messed up somehow. Sorry about that.)
But anyway, I said I’d post a bit about the process for this comic—so here I go.
When Kory and I first started working together on PXS, I was also nosing around for artists for the print store. I talked to Kory about doing something cute, and she came up with the idea of a consort tea party! Since the consort plushes were still pretty new then, it seemed like the perfect idea.
So she made this print and we continued to work on PXS stuff while the print waited patiently in the hopper for its day to shine.
Kory and I have meetings at least once a week where we talk over voice chat about PXS stuff. Often we spend some time coming up with script ideas, which we put into a big file full of sketched-out notes so we can hand ideas over to writers to turn into scripts for us. It’s useful! But sometimes the ideas are simple enough that we turn them into little scripts on the spot.
In this case, when Kory came up with the idea for some kind of story based on her print, the idea popped into my head almost immediately. I said something like “Hold on, I can’t type and talk” (I say this in meetings a lot) and slammed out this immediately:
IT’S A PRETTY JANKY SCRIPT. (It’s a Google doc, hence Kory’s line at the top about her print, before I wrote out the script.) It’s also the reason I have story credits on “Party Crashers.” But the nice thing about working on particular comic stories like this one is that the script can be TOTALLY janky when you’re working this way.
Usually we pass scripts off to one of our thumbnailers, either Allie or Jon, but since Kory did the print she wanted to do the story too—
so she took the really loose, sketchy script and took it all the way up to the inking stage. EDIT: WHOOPS I misremembered! In fact, Allie thumbnailed this story, and Kory took it to inking. If this had been a comic with dialogue, or one with a more complex story, I would have put the script into my “to edit” pile and turned it into something nicer—like this excerpt from “Quality Time,” where Andrew had handed me ONLY the dialogue and I had to put in page and panel breaks, actions, etc.
But because I know and trust Kory (and our other thumbnailers), I don’t mind handing sloppy scripts over when the stories themselves are this loose and silly. It’s one of the huge benefits of working in a team like this, and lets us have a lot more stories in progress at once.
Anyway, so Kory drew the story, we got the amazing Matt Cummings to color it, and then I talked to Julian about making sure the print went up simultaneously with the last page of the story! Which turned out to be a little rocky thanks to some technical trouble—and we’re still fixing the preview image (don’t look at that one look at the one in this post!)—but there it is!
It’s a little bit different from our usual timeline, but it certainly worked out this time, I think the story turned out cute as hell. I’m really proud of Kory and Matt for their hard work!
As always, the ask box is open for questions.
Rachel wrote up a great post about how comics get made over at Paradox Space, using Party Crashers as an example!